Safe Reopening during Covid-19
Dr. Kaplan has gained a vast amount of knowledge and expertise in dealing with how the Covid-19 pandemic affects dentistry. As part of the Michigan Dental Association Task Force to Reopen Dentistry, he has been in constant contact with multiple experts discussing how to treat patients safely in the dental setting.
Here are some of the steps we are taking and the changes we are making to make everyone, both patients and staff, safer...
PRE VISIT TESTING FOR COVID 19
Unlike when our medical colleagues see patients, all dental patients have to take off their masks to be seen.
As COVID-19 continues to be present throughout our community, we have decided for the safety of our patients and our staff to have pre-dental visit COVID testing for all patients who need to take off their masks to be seen for either periodontal evaluation or for treatment.
How this works (please read carefully):
Helix MDx Lab, working in conjunction with the Washtenaw County Health Department, has set up drive up testing for the dental community and our patients in the Briarwood Mall parking lot adjacent to the old Sears location at light post marker #16. HelixMDx uses an RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction) COVID-19 test that tests at 40-45 cycles of PCR, which is a very sensitive test, to help reduce the risk of a false-negative result. A false-negative result means that the test shows a negative result even though the person tested actually is infected with COVID-19.
PLEASE SIGN UP AT:
And click on: DENTAL PATIENTS-WASHTENAW COUNTY
and please fill out the online form from your phone or computer.
YOU DO NOT NEED AN APPOINTMENT TIME TO BE TESTED AND THE LAB WILL NOT CONTACT YOU AFTER YOU SIGN UP...just please show up at the Helix MDx Dental Testing Site in the Briarwood Mall parking lot adjacent to the old Sears location at light post marker #16 as outlined below.
GUIDELINES ON WHEN TO GO TEST
PLEASE DO NOT TEST MORE THAN 3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
(ALTHOUGH DENTAL APPOINTMENTS ON TUESDAY TEST ON FRIDAY, 4 DAYS PRIOR)
DENTAL APPOINTMENT PLEASE TEST ON:
IS SCHEDULED ON:
Dr. Kaplan will receive your test results and he will give you your result on arrival to the office (or sooner if you test positive for the COVID-19 virus). If you miss your appointment for any reason, please make sure you call our office immediately to get your test result or if after hours, please contact Dr. Kaplan on his cell phone at 734-846-4991.
*Please only contact our office for your test results (please do not contact HelixMdx or the Washtenaw Co Health Dept for results) or, if after hours, please reach Dr. Kaplan on his cell phone for your test results again at 734-846-4991.
**Again, once tested, you will need to do your best to self-isolate and wear a mask at all times if you must go out until your appointment time in order to prevent getting infected with COVID-19.
Changes we have made to our office:
• We have added 7 high-quality HEPA air filtration units to our office to help clean and turn over room air using MERV 19 filters.
• More importantly each treatment room will have a dental snout to help capture any aerosols that occur during a procedure.
• We have also added iWave-C with Needle Point Bi-Polar Ionization to help purify the air in our suite along with a Merv 13 filter in our HVAC system.
• Our clinical staff will be wearing either N95 or KN95 masks, which have been properly fit-tested when we are caring for you.
• We have added sneeze guards at the front office.
• We added wall extenders and curtains to help control airflow.
• We have adjusted air returns to have airflow from the front of our office toward our treatment rooms.
WHEN IT IS TIME FOR YOUR VISIT:
- Please arrive a few minutes early for your appointment and please wait in your car. Please call us to let us know you have arrived for your appointment and please make sure that we have your cell phone number.
- We will call you when it is time for you to come in to be seen. We are no longer having people wait in the reception area due to the pandemic.
- Please do not bring anyone with you to your appointment unless you are not able to come by yourself.
- We are asking all patients to enter the building already wearing a mask (who are medically able to do so) per the Governor’s executive order.
- If you are sick with any of the symptoms:
◦ Fever or chills
◦ Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
◦ Muscle or body aches
◦ New loss of taste or smell
◦ Sore throat
◦ Congestion or runny nose
◦ Nausea or vomiting
Please stay home and call your physician, then call us to reschedule.
Also, if you have been exposed to anyone who has COVID-19, we will need to postpone your appointment until you have been tested and shown to be COVID-19 free by your physician.